Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Reserved for Indian Tiger

Recently you might have seen ads by Aircel on "Save The Tiger" project. It took almost 39,000 tigers to loose their lives before Man felt the loss and decided to do something about it. Irony is that Tiger is our National Animal which is on the verge of extinction.

Very recently I visited a zoo in Pune and a section of the zoo caught my attention. I saw some graves and a sighting of a grave in a place like the zoo was something weird. I moved closer to it to find three graves. On the first grave there was a placard with a picture of a DODO bird with these words - Extinct in 1681. The second grave had a placard with a picture of the Indian leopard and the words - Extinct in 1952. I was taken aback with the fact that in my life time I had never seen an Indian leopard as it was extinct way before I was born. The third one was an empty grave. The grave was dug and the most capturing site was that of a female cleaner sweeping the fallen leaves and keeping the grave ready. The placard displayed a picture and the words - RESERVED FOR INDIAN TIGER. It left me shaking to the core. The fact was so scary.

With just 1411 tigers left I am not sure if my children would ever get to see the tiger when they are born as I never saw the Indian leopard. And this fear is not very far from becoming a fact as we lost 66 tigers in 6 months time. Very recently the death of 5 tigers hit the headlines. All this news left me searching for ways in which I could help this creature. And saving them again is one big fat selfish motive that man has. With the extinction of animals from the face of the earth we are slowing killing the Cycle of life. We are taking off the beads that connect and maintain the balance of nature. The nature that is giving us HUMANS its life.

When I circulated the link for save the tiger initiative to some of my friends and colleague, a person walked up to me and asked me if I believed that by sharing these links or by talking about these things am I going to make any difference to the situation? It did make me think but only for a while, because the next instance I was reading an article about a boy who started a signature campaign on tiger crisis and sent it to the chief minister. The idea was to gather funds to rehabilitate the poacher's tribe. After some probing the CM sent the funds for the conservation projects.

What caught me off guard was the age of the boy. The boy was just 7yrs old studying in class 2. If a 7 yr old can stir such a mass ripple, why cant us? And that's where the answer to that person's question was. Even if we don't want to loose the comfort of our home and office, there are a lot of things we can do. There are a lot of people at the frontline who are fighting the cause by being right at the spot of action. Spare some money and donate to help them. Write and talk about this crisis with every one possible, in the right forums. You never know who might be influenced by your thoughts and might just go all out for this cause. That's your contribution too. Join the NGOs who are working for this cause and find out how you can help. All this can be done online.

Save OUR Tigers.
http://www.saveourtigers.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment